November 24, 2008

San Francisco, California: Ride the Ducks (CLOSED); things to do

Ride the Ducks  

CLOSED  Jefferson St./Taylor St., Fisherman’s Wharf, (800) 452-4386, (415) 922-2425. Daily 11-5. $32, 62+ $30, 5-17 $23; discount for Bay Area residents through Dec. 31, 2008.

The just ducky Ducks are amphibious vehicles modeled after the DUKWs that carried troops and supplies during World War II. They spend half the tour riding through the streets of San Francisco and the other half cruising in the bay near AT&T Park. Riders are given bright-yellow duck-bill "quackers" to blow on throughout the trip. I had no idea I held so much hot air. I reverted back to my inner 8-year-old and quacked away crazily at pedestrians. I found their reactions very interesting. Some people refused to acknowledge us (there were more nutty quackers on board than just me); others smiled like 8-year-olds; 8-year-olds and under smiled and usually waved, too. But what really amazed me, is that no one--not a single person--gave us the finger! I have no idea what these observations mean, except I had one crazy good time.


More things to do in San Francisco

Way more things to do in San Francisco.

More ideas for exploring the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts