February 22, 2016

Bali, Indonesia: Tanah Lot, things to do

Tanah Lot  

One in a chain seven sea temples along the south-western Bali coast--each established within eyesight of the next--the expansive Tanah Lot temple complex is always spectacular, but morning light provides the best photos.  Sunset is good, but bus-loads of tourists arrive then and the rock is in shadow.  If you’re here then, perhaps the best way to watch the sunset is fortified by a cold beer or refreshing fresh coconut water in one of the bluff-top cafes.  Souvenir stalls are plentiful, and hawkers offer interesting items as you walk around.  The temple name translates as “small island floating on the sea.”

Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia
Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia


taking selfies at Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia
taking selfies at Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia


Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia
Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia


sunset from a cafe at Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia
sunset from a cafe at Tanah Lot temple in Bali, Indonesia



9 comments:

  1. I wish there weren't the crowds. That's the hardest part about getting good photos in scenic places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look s though it could be an island whenever the water is high. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you made the best of your crowded sightseeing by capturing the diverse hordes of tourists and their selfie sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures...but I thought the sun always shines in Bali? Guess not...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited Tanah lot briefly on my way to staying at the Alila Soori on the west side. A sunset viewing and dinner would have been lovely, but I opted to enjoy the resort instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bali is on our short list of potential trips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've definitely captured the 'sense of place' with these photos! Felt like I was there with you~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful spot, but I think those crowds would make me a bit crazy. I would try and get up to see the sunrise at Tanah Lot, I bet that would give a totally different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts