July 17, 2015

NYC: Magnolia Bakery + Bleecker Playground park; restaurant review + things to do

Magnolia Bakery  

401 Bleecker St./11th St., West Village, (212) 462-2572. 

This small spot is the original location of the boomingly popular Magnolia Bakery cupcake shop put on the map by the TV show “Sex & the City.”  It is certified Kosher and now has franchises around the world.  My favorite cupcake is the vanilla with thick pastel frosting—I selected one here with aqua frosting on my recent birthday--but delicious chocolate and red velvet versions are also available.  The banana bread pudding dessert is also a don’t-miss, and the cookies and ice cream sandwiches are well priced and tasty.

exterior of Magnolia Bakery in NYC
exterior of Magnolia Bakery in NYC


interior of Magnolia Bakery in NYC
interior of Magnolia Bakery in NYC


cupcake case at Magnolia Bakery in NYC
cupcake case at Magnolia Bakery in NYC


happy customer with cupcake af Magnolia Bakery in NYC
happy customer with cupcake at Magnolia Bakery in NYC
image ©Suzanne Flores


my birthday cupcake af Magnolia Bakery in NYC
my birthday cupcake at Magnolia Bakery in NYC


Since there is nowhere to sit inside, eat your cupcake on the run or take it away to linger over at little 

Bleecker Playground park 

located diagonally across the street. 

entrance to Bleecker Playground park in NYC
entrance to Bleecker Playground park in NYC


Bleecker Playground park in NYC
Bleecker Playground park in NYC


view of Magnolia Bakery from Bleecker Playground park in NYC
view of Magnolia Bakery from Bleecker Playground park in NYC




More NYC attractions.

More NYC restaurants.

images ©2015 Carole Terwilliger Meyers


14 comments:

  1. Yummy, that all looks delicious. Must visit this place if I'm in NYC and looking for something sweet to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is the cutest place? The cupcakes are fabulous. It is very near one of my very favorite restaurants, The Spotted Pig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we were given a red velvet cake recently in Dubai by Radisson Blu Hotel, I have a thing for red velvet cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved red velvet cake. It's been around for a long time. I had a recipe that called for adding an entire bottle of red food dye, which was later discovered to be not so good for you. Next time you eat at Cheesecake Factory, be sure to try their red velvet cheesecake. It is super yummy.

      Delete
  4. I've been in other locations of Magnolia Bakery in NYC, but never the original one. I used to make it a regular stop when I had an extended stay there for 3 months. Thick frosting is key for me! Looks like you made a good choice for your BD cupcake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnolia Bakery looks like a place I need to visit the next time I am in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy birthday from Las Vegas,Nevada! Now why did you choose aqua frosting? Any significance to the color???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty, and also I think it is the bakery's color of choice, at least I associate that color with the bakery.

      Delete
  7. mmmm looks yummy! Magnolia bakery is a great spot to visit for a birthday treat! I've been to one in NYC, but not the original location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnolia Bakery is one of my favorite places! It's probably good that I don't live in New York any more because I'd probably weigh a gazillion pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a cupcake-perfect size, and right about now I could really use an afternoon pick me up! I've heard good things about both the Spotted Pig and Magnolia Bakery. Added them to the list for my next trip to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool bakery - would love to taste some of those cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason, I'd rather look at cupcakes than eat them, at least the modern version with the heaps of icing---although now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'd enjoy them with a knife and fork. However, it sounds like you'd have to take home your Magnolia Bakery cupcake to be able to find those utensils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably provide plastic utensils for picky picknickers like you! I ate it in about 4 bites. No problem! LOVE that frosting! :)

      Delete

Popular Posts