August 5, 2015

NYC: Schnippers Quality Kitchen + Shake Shack + Madison Square Park; restaurant reviews + things to do

Schnippers Quality Kitchen  

23 East 23rd St., Flatiron District, (212) 233-1025. 

We wanted to eat outside at Shake Shack, but the line was way long.  So, luckily being with a savvy local, we headed to Schnippers Quality Kitchen.  I liked the high ceiling and view of the sidewalk activity, and since it is an order-at-the-counter kind of place the price is certainly right.

interior view out from Schnippers Quality Kitchen in NYC's Flatiron District
interior view out from Schnippers Quality Kitchen in NYC's Flatiron District


Burgers are the menu mainstay.  I ordered the basic but made the mistake of calling it “plain” and so got no toppings.  This was quickly remedied by a roaming server, who delivered lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles to me with a big smile.  Also on the basically American-food menu are fried chicken, sandwiches (including a BLAT--bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato), hot dogs, mac and cheese, sloppy joe, fish & chips, and salads as well as very good chicken tacos.  Sides include as assortment of fries—the sweet potato fries with the maple syrup dip is very popular--as well as thick onion rings.  Complimentary chilled lemon-water is available, but I opted for a delicious black & white shake consisting of vanilla ice cream swirled with chocolate sauce.

burger and shake at Schnippers Quality Kitchen in NYC's Flatiron District
burger and shake at Schnippers Quality Kitchen in NYC's Flatiron District



Shake Shack  

23rd St., betw. Fifth & Madison aves., in Madison Square Park, (212) 889-6600. 

Rain or shine there seems always to be a line at Shake Shack.  There are several other locations, but this one has the best rep.

Shake Shack dining area in Madison Square Park in NYC's Flatiron District
Shake Shack dining area in Madison Square Park in NYC's Flatiron District

order line at Shake Shack in Madison Square Park in NYC's Flatiron District
order line at Shake Shack in Madison Square Park in NYC's Flatiron District
 

Though I passed on lunch here because of that line, I then wound up enjoying a juicy burger and shake at JFK in the Delta terminal where I endured a minimal line. 

order counter at Shake Shack in Delta terminal at JFK
order counter at Shake Shack in Delta terminal at JFK


burger and shake at Shake Shack in Delta terminal at JFK
burger and shake at Shake Shack in Delta terminal at JFK



Madison Square Park  

Named after President James Madison, this small park has been a public space since 1686 and a city park since 1847.  In the late 19th century it was surrounded by mansions and fancy hotels and relatively unused by the public.  Today Madison Square Park features art displays and concerts and is often crowded with people.



More NYC attractions.

More NYC restaurants.
images ©2015 Carole Terwilliger Meyers

7 comments:

  1. Darn, now I'm hungry for a burger! Whoever came up with the idea to start putting avocado on BLTs is a hero in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a name like Schnippers, it gotta be good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a happy accident that you ended up at Schnipper's Quality Kitchen. Next time I'm in the neighborhood...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shake Shack has got me wondering; nothing here in the Phoenix area yet. In about three weeks I will be at JFK for a 6-hour layover. I bet I can finally taste it there, especially with a minimal line! But my husband, who loves his BLT classic, would scoff at that addition of avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Shake Shack well and Schnipper's looks like a great place for a burger. Another place we loved in NYC is the burger joint in the Meridien mid town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see a Shake Shack out my 16th floor kitchen window in Center City Philadelphia, but I just don't get the over the top appeal. I've only eaten there once. On Election Day in 2012 I worked as a poll watcher and my poll watching partner (more than several years my junior) insisted that we have lunch there. I mean, it's a decent fast food hamburger----but, it's a fast food hamburger. I've never had a milk shake there. I think I read they have something like 1,200 calories. The days when I can scarf an extra 1,200 calories are long over I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamburgers are back! This place seems to have started the charge.

      Delete

Popular Posts